Many Chinese students study in the US are concerned about how they can continue to work in the US after finishing their studies. The most common and traditional way to convert a student visa to a work visa is to apply for an H-1B visa. Since the H-1B visa application materials (also known as h1b签证材料) and the H-1B reform (also known as h1b改革) is very complicated, you should always consider hiring a lawyer when you apply for an H-1B visa.
Basic requirements for applying for H1B visa (also known as h1b签证):
- You must have a legal identity in the US (such as F-1).
- You have a bachelor’s degree or above.
- You must be employed in a specialized industry closely related to his/her degree.
- The employer must demonstrate that you are to be paid at least the prevailing wage for the position.
H-1B visa application materials (Your employer needs to provide):
- Petition letter.
- Any marketing material describing the employer and its business.
- Current financial statements (balance sheet and income statement or tax returns) that demonstrate the ability to pay the employee the prevailing wage for the position offered.
H-1B visa application materials (You need to provide):
- Copy of passport, current visa, and your I-94 form.
- I-20 and EAD card (if you are F-1 visa holder).
- Copy of your résumé.
- Copy of any educational certificates or diplomas.
- Copies of university transcript(s).
An F-1 visa holder is permitted to work off-campus in Optional Practical Training (OPT) status. You can also consult with a professional agency in the US to get advice. There are many such agencies in the big city like New York (also known as 纽约留学中介).
Health insurance is very important in the US. Many schools require F-1 students to buy health insurance (also known as 留学生 保险). You are also recommended to buy health insurance after graduation. Some employers provide health insurance with employees. Remember to ask for your employer about health insurance before accepting an offer.